Monday, July 25, 2011

My First Facial

One of the items on my 101 in 1001 list is to get a facial.  Yesterday I crossed that one off the list.

It is really hard for me to ever truly relax because I can't ever turn my mind off.  It is especially hard when I keep telling myself, "Ok, relax.  Enjoy this.  Ah, doesn't this feel good?"

What usually ends up happening is that I have a whole stream of consciousness that starts tumbling around inside my head.  It sounds something like this:

"I am so excited!  I've never had a facial before.  This is going to feel good.  Wonder what this machine does?  Kind of looks like that machine in a dentist's office.  I need to make that dental appointment for myself and Kanin has one next week, I think.  His dentist is on Olive maybe I'll go to Trader Joe's on the way back.  Wonder how much time I have left?  Ok, relax.  Stop thinking about everything and just enjoy it.  Wonder what she is going to do next?  That stuff smells like Sea Breeze that I used to use in high school.  I think it is called an astringent.  That's not good for your skin, is it?  I like that hot towel.  I need to buy some new towels.

I mean SERIOUSLY, how ridiculous could I be?  That is exactly what happened during my facial yesterday.  I couldn't totally enjoy it because I couldn't turn my mind off and just be. 

Here is what I liked about the facial:

I didn't really know what to expect except everyone kept telling me how relaxing facials are and they were right.  It felt great to have my face massaged and different lotions and sprays rubbed on.

 
My favorite part of the facial was when she painted on a mud mask. 
Source

I also liked when she wrapped my face in the hot towel.

While she was letting the mud set, she gave me an arm and hand massage and then wrapped both in hot towels.

I loved all of those parts about it.  I didn't even mind the extractions (where she picks the blackheads/blemishes).

This is the part that I hated:

The part I couldn't stand, though, was that steamer. 

Source
I felt like I was going to suffocate.  I was just praying for that part to be over.  I am a mouth breather but I was trying to breathe in and out of my nose because this lady is right over my face and I was afraid I had bad breath. 

So, overall, I'm not really sure that I would go get another facial anytime soon.  I thought it was just OK.  I don't know if I just had it built up in my mind or if it was because I didn't really know what to expect.  I will say that my face feels great today, though.

Have you had a facial before?  Loved it?  Hated it?

1 comment:

  1. ah, sounds nice! Yea, I've never had one either but that mud mask sounds refreshing!!!

    ReplyDelete