Thursday, March 3, 2011

Toddler Talk: Healthy Snacks

Today's Toddler Talk is about Healthy Snacks.


Food is a major issue in our house.  Scott refers to me as "the Food Nazi," I'm not so sure that is a good thing.  I did not grow up always eating the healthiest food (lots of Southern-style meals) but I was also very, very active and we played outside a lot more than kids these days so I guess I kind of balanced the good with the bad.

Here are some of our favorite healthy snacks:

String cheese
Apples dipped in peanut butter with honey
raisins
yogurt with granola
hard-boiled egg whites
all-natural applesauce
bananas
grapes
whole grain Goldfish

I can't wait to see your ideas.  I am always looking for healthy kids to give the kiddos.

5 comments:

  1. We do a lot of what you already have listed, but to try to add a couple more:

    -"fruit leather" from Trader Joe's (you can probably get it at regular stores too though in the health food section)
    -Almond Nut-Thin crackers (gluten-free and SO tasty), we have them plain or with a little cheese or hummus.
    -Plain grape tomatoes are one of Kenzie's new faves
    -Strawberries & blueberries
    -Organic "grammy sammy" sandwiches found at Babies R Us--a pricey all-the-time snack ( especially with 3 kids) but as a special "treat" they have chocolate/banana ones that are actually good for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, hard boiled eggs! I forgot about those...those used to be a big favorite here. I like them too because they actually seem to fill up my bottomless pit children for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter loves cereals. So we try and give her different ones like, Cherrios, Raisin Bran and Honey Nut Cherrios Mutli-gran.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do a mix...we call it the mixed up snack! cheerios, whole grain goldfish, craisins, and a few little surprises thrown in there...like sometimes a few marshmallows or a few m&m's! They love it and ask for it by name...we want the mixed up snack :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of healthy snacks here! Way to go. I just love to see that other parents out there don't just give their kids nuggets and fries! Have you guys tried Bear Nuts? They are delicious!
    CJR @ The Mommy Blog

    ReplyDelete